Italian Photos Newsletter
On-Site Italian Research
Jewish Italian Research
Geraci Siculo (Palermo Province) is 120 km. from Palermo, alt. 1,077 m., in the Madonie, on the northeastern face of Pizzo Catarineci, area 113 sq. km., pop. over 2,200, post-code 90010, tel. 0921. Economy: handi-craft (wood, iron, stone carving, embroidery), argiculture and animal farming.
The Muslims conquered the town in 840. The Normans took it more than two centuries later. Geraci became a county capital. In 1440, it became the seat of the first Sicilian marquisate, that of the Ventimiglia family who had been its overlords since 1252. The town clustered around the Ventimiglias' Castle (now ruins) and still preserves in the upper part the narrow lanes of its Islamic origin.
Of intereset is the The Civic Library, the Town Records Office and the Madonie Museum.
In July, the Medieval Tournament of the Ventimiglia family is celebrated with chivalrous games in Geraci, Castelbuono, and Gangi.
Churches (Cefalu Diocese) include the following:
Families researched in these records include the following:
Links to other sites about Geraci Siculo include: