Italian Photos Newsletter
On-Site Italian Research
Jewish Italian Research
Gangi (Palermo Province) is 127 km. from Palermo, alt. 1,011 m., on Mt. Morone in the Madonie, overlooking the basin of the River Gangi, area 127.16 sq. km., pop. over 8,000, post-code 90024, tel. 0921. Agricultural economy.
Achaeological excavations on the area have led some scholars to suppose that the ancient Sicel city of Engyon was situated here, rather than near Nicosia, as others believe. Roman and medieval traces have also been found, in the country area of Gangivecchio.
The ancient town was destroyed by Frederick II in 1299. The new town of Gangi developed in the 14th century around the castle built by Francesco Ventimiglia, lord of the town.
Of interest is the Saracen tower at the old entrance to the town. The Palazzo Bongiorno-Li Destri (18th century) now houses the offices of the comune. The Castle can be reached by climbing via del Castello. Nearby is the Santuario dello Spirito Santo (historic parish) which was one of the buildings of the 14th century Benedictine monastary of Santa Maria.
The festivals of the ear of wheat and the Burgisi is celebrated in July. Also in July, the Medieval Tournament of the Ventimiglia family is celebrated with chivalrous games in Geraci, Castelbuono, and Gangi.
Churches (Cefalu Diocese) include the following:
Families researched in these records include the following:
Links to other sites about Gangi include: