Italian Photos Newsletter
On-Site Italian Research
Jewish Italian Research
According to tradition, a temple sacred to Aesculapius once stood here. A Norman castle, later fortified during the lordship of Matteo Sclafani in the first half of the 14th century, used to occupy the site. The village developed around the castle rock and remained in the possession of the Sclafani family until the end of the 18th century, maintaining its medieval structure. Its official name was Sclafani until 1953, when Bagni (Baths) was added, referring to the well-known sulphurous waters in the thermal station, built in 1851 downhill from the village.
Of interest are the ruins of the castle and the Little Castle, joined by a broad wall that is also the boundary wall of the village.
Churches (Cefalu Diocese) include the following:
Families researched in these records include the following:
Links to other sites about Sclafani Bagni include: