On-Site Italian Research
Jewish Italian Research
Lercara Friddi (Palermo Province) is 65 km. from Palermo, alt. 660 m. in the hills between the Rivers Torto and Platani, on the slopes of Pizzo Lanzone, area 37.3 sq. km., pop, over 7800, post-code 90025, tel. 091. Economy: agriculture (cereals), iron and wood handicraft, service industries.
It was originally a trading post along the royal highway between Palermo and Agrigento. The present town was founded in 1605 by the Spanish nobleman D. Baldassare Gomez de Amescua, who acquired the fief following his marriage to Francesca Lercara. It then belonged at various times to a number of noble families (de Mayda, Villalba, Ventimiglia, Scamacca, and Gravina).
This was an important sulphur mining center. All the mines have closed.
Churches (Palermo Diocese) include the following:
Families researched in these records include the following:
Links to other sites about Lercara Friddi include: